Friday, January 19, 2018

Staff Picks - Adult Non-Fiction

Food52 Genius Recipes by Kristen Miglore

Kristen Miglore is the executive editor of Food52 website. She says, “A genius recipe surprises us and makes us rethink cooking tropes. They’re handed down by luminaries of the food world and become their legacies…once we’ve folded them into our repertories they make us feel pretty genius too!”

I tried the No Knead Bread by Jim Lahey; it changed the way I think about bread. The bread looked beautiful, tasted amazing and it was easy to make. I was astounded that I could create something so delicious and elegant looking. I was thankful we could make this again. It wasn’t a fluke.

The next recipe I tried was the Raised Waffles by Marion Cunningham. Again, a technique that requires very little effort on my part to turn out great waffles! I’m stunned at how far ahead you can make this and how great it tastes. It’s a crowd pleaser!

The last recipe I tried was the English Porridge by April Bloomfield. A brilliant porridge recipe that allows you to have a party in your mouth with every bite. This recipe delivers an explosion of textures along with the salty sweet taste my family and I loved!

The categories in this book start with Breakfast, Snacks and Drinks, Soups and Salads, Meaty Meals, Meatless Mains, Vegetable and Desserts. The dishes I anxiously want to try next are Cauliflower Soup, Shrimp Grits, Rosemary-Brined Buttermilk Fried Chicken, Chicken Thighs with Lemon, Grilled Pizza, Gratin of Zucchini …  and so many more.

Nora St. Laurent
Collection Support Aide

No comments: