Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My Childhood Memory of the Library

As a child, one of my favorite places to visit was the library in downtown Lawrenceville, Georgia.  I can still remember the exciting feeling I would get as my mom, brother, and I walked down the sidewalk to the steps that led up to the library.  As a child, I thought  the library was such a big place.  But in reality, our library was in a very small building that looked like a house.  I would always look for my favorite childhood book, Be Nice to Spiders, by Margaret B. Graham.  It was a sweet story about a spider named Helen who ended up living in the zoo.  A few years later, the library moved to a bigger location right down the street from my high school.  When I was a teenager and could drive myself to the library, I’d still drive by the old library location and just sit in my car, remembering all the fond memories I had of “my”  library.  That’s what it felt like to me.  My parents didn’t have a lot of money, so we didn’t have a lot of books of our own.  My favorite memory will always looking back as I was leaving and having the sweet librarian smile and tell me to come back soon.  She made this shy girl feel so special!

That's my childhood memory of the library...what's yours?

No comments: